Nos membres - Our peeps

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tutorial Thursday with Kim - Triptych Part 1

Hi girls!
Last month I was privileged to meet the one and only... Tim Holtz! He's so inspiring... From now on I'm in a Vintage, Shabby Chic and Distressed  mood! I decided  to create a project of my own, a special project and I want to share the step-by-step instructions with you!

The project is huge so it will be divided in two parts!

Begin with 3 sheets of chipboard. ( you'll need 6 pieces) Apply your favorite glue or double-sided tape and affix a black cardstock onto it.


Nobody's perfect! I had a margin done without paper! It's so frustrating!

I took my Black Dabber Paint (a very useful medium) and painted over the cardstock and chipboard.

Do the same thing two additional times to get three "groundworks". Now the fun begin! Take a sheet and trace 2 diagonales to find the center of your piece.

Create an 8" square and remove the central part. Here's a tip, trace a parallel lign from 2" of the edge to 4" of center.

Once you're done for the first one, you won't need to make them all again for the twos other ones, simply used them as a guide and trace like if it were a stencil.

Add some double-sided tape, glue it near of the edge because the paper can ripple.

Add your paper on the taped side of the chipboard. I used the new paper line from Tim Holtz... Turn your chipboard to see the "raw" side. Trace again a big X and cut it

Remove a part of the "triangle", it's not important if it's not totally right. You'll get something approximately similar to the picture below.

Create a lign with a bone folder. Fold it and glue it down. Use a brayer to be sure it's really affixed.

Look at the result. We now have a frame!

Do the same for the other 2 pieces! I made one pink and two neutral, I have 2 boys and a girl.

Did you see?

Grrr! So tiring! I use the same paint dabber for the three part, I think it's called Expresso.

Now I distressed my frame, I use a blending tool and the Vintage Photo Distress Ink and inked my three frames.

It was too drastic so I used a baby wipe and blended the ink with water.

I would have loved to use strap hinges but unfortunately I don't own any so I used my Bind-It-All to connect my three frames. I've punch holes on my black "groundwork" on the top and the bottom.

Use this templace to know where to punch the holes.

Now your holes are done, install your rolls. No need to care about the color.


Here's the result after connecting the 3 groundworks together.


I've temporary affixed the frame just to show you a preview...

Cute isn't? But the final result is far better! I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial! See you next week!

Hugs and kisses

Kim @ KLDezign

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome Kim. Love the tutorial, and can't wait to see the rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim-
    great tutorial.....I love the idea!!!!


    Calypso

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the final chapter, Kim. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle ~ DT CoordinatorJuly 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM

    Awesome project idea Kim!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.