Nos membres - Our peeps

Monday, April 13, 2009

Cricut Tuesdays with The McSmitty Girl

WOW... What an incredible week. Posh Designs Interactive Community has boomed with new memberships from all around the world! For all the Cricut users I hope this blog post finds its way into your weekly readings. I also hope to be able to show you some things you can do using your bug which is good for newbies as well as for the well seasoned scrappers and cardmakers out there! I hope I can refresh your techniques. If this is your first time reading this blog post. Welcome! Together let's share our passion for one of our most favorite tools - The Cricut.

I want to focus on some of the great sketch challenges that can be found on our Community Site. Though I won't tell you what exactly what the challenges are in detail. I wanted to show you how I used my Cricut to achieve my adaptation to each of the challenges.

The first layout is for the AAM (All About Me) Challenge created by one of our talented Design Team (DT) Members, Jackie. Here's my version of Challenge #1:


This layout was created in a 8x8 format; another challenge for me as I usually scrap using 12x12 papers and cardstocks. For all the lettering and numbers, I used the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge (found with the purchase of the Expression machine). All characters were cut at 1" using the usual set font found on the cartridge. Because there is a list of bits and pieces of information; using 1" characters was effective enough to tell my story. The story of how old I am at that moment of time. The two tags were also created from the same cartridge, cut at its usual shape image (at 2-1/2"). These tags contain more bits of info about my life and are tucked behind the picture to pull out at the reader's leisure.

The second layout was for the Breaking the Rules Challenge. This is a weekly series founded by the creator of Posh Designs Scrapbook Store and its community, Nini! Each week she will post a new sketch challenge to shake things up a bit in the scrappin' world. If you are new, have no fear. These are fun challenges to do. It will certainly make you think differently about scrapbooking. This are my pictures of Challenge #2:

For these layouts I used the Graphically Speaking cartridge. The numbers on each picture was cut at 1" using the 'word' (non-shift) creative feature. The title for this layout is called, 'Life's Little Moments' which was cut using the 'word' (shift and non-shift) creative feature. I had to layer 2 cuts because when I colored the in the negative spaces on the 1st cut; it bled. So a quick tip is that when you find that your coloring has bled into the cardtosck or paper; just cut the same image or font again then layer on top of the original cuts and volia... You have a clean image that is colored. Plus as a bonus you've added some weight onto the project!

The last layout I want to showcase this week was taken from the Posh Designs Sketch Challenge created again by Nini. This picture is from challenge #1:


For this layout I used these cartridges for the following elements. The title was created using George and Basic Shapes cartridge (usually found with the Original Personal Cricut). All letters were cut at 1-1/4" using both the Silhouette and Blackout creative features. I used 2 different colors of papers for contrast then layered them to achieve my finished item. Also the flowers were created from the same cartridge, cut at 1". I layered 2 flowers to have 1 finished embellishment hence I had to cut a total of 6 flowers. I loved how the flowers turned out. Last but not least, the side ribbon was cut using the Accent Essentials cartridge (which was with my Expression machine at the time of purchase but understand that it can be bought on its own or via using your Cricut rewards). I had used the Fit to Length cutting mode to ensure this image fit onto my 12x12 page. If you love the papers I used for this project. They are from the DCWV: Taj Mahal and La Creme stacks and can be found at Posh Designs Scrapbook Store.
I hope you enjoyed these layouts and there is so much more to see and participate in. Become a member of the Interactive Community today to join in on the fun. It is free and it is so much fun!!! Please feel free to leave me a comment or a question and better yet perhaps an idea you would like to see in an upcoming Cricut Tuesdays blog post. I'd love to hear from you!

Until next Tuesday, Take Care :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.