Nos membres - Our peeps

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cricut Tuesdays with The McSmitty Girl

Hello Everyone and a Happy Spring Tuesday to You!

Last week was a pretty chaotic one as my Father-in-Law and my Step Mother-in-Law were preparing to move out from our home. I compare the act of moving to organized chaos. My husband compares organized chaos to my scrapbooking/cardmaking hobby. Needless to say, I agree with my husband. Like you would plan out your move, you plan out your page or card design. When you begin to pack up your things, you start to cut paper, photos and adhere. See what I mean? Before I get too far off track time was not on my side as you may have realized; but that did not stop me in creating 2 cards for occasions coming up in my near future.

The first card was created for my Sister in Law's Baby Shower. She and my Brother are expecting their second child but their first Son! Here are the instructions on how I created this card using the New Arrival cartridge.

Photobucket

  • Cut envelope first using the Fit to Page cutting mode (which was calculated at 5-3/4").
  • Using 'card-2' image, cut card on the blackout feature at 5-3/4", score and fold card in half
  • Cut 2 rectangle mats: 1 @ 5-1/2" x 4-3/4" and 1 @ 5-1/4" x 4-1/2", layer spaced evenly around and adhere onto cardfront (i.e. scallop edge forward).
  • Cut images 'stork' followed by 'stork-s' (using the shift key) both at 3".
  • Color in layers as desired and other parts on the original image as you see fit.
  • Cut images the 'nursery' and 'nursery-s' (using the shift key) both at 1-1/2".
  • Color and/or outline the layers as desired for interest.
  • Adhere the stork and nursery images onto the card as you would imagine a stork delivering a baby to thier new parents.
  • Trim ribbon to wrap around the card in the same direction as you are going to place the die cut images (For this card, I used tacky tape on the front of the card only to ensure it properly stayed in place then wrapped tightly as possible the ribbon around the card).
  • Stamp a greeting onto white cardstock, trim and adhere onto cardfront (I chose to use a pop dot in the case).
  1. Tip: When you would like to layer parts onto an original image make sure that this cartridge cuts images proportionally to each other. Most of the cartridges do so ensure you do not use the 'real dial size' cutting option on your Cricut machine. If you are not sure, refer to your handbook.
  2. Tip: Use white or cream colored cardstock when you would like to color in the layers that fit onto an original image. Once these layers are cut; you can color them as you wish and with your coloring tool of choice. For example, the 'stork' had layers of a hat and body and I chose to color them in for contrast for my card. Plus when layered together I chose to color in the beak, legs and feet of the stork as well for additional dimension.
The next card was created for my Husband's former work location as he got moved to another location (closer to home, yippee). Before he left his staff threw him a Good-Bye - Good Luck Tea. He was very moved by all the kind gestures and I created this 'Many Thanks' card for him to express his gratitude. Here are my instructions for you to re-create this card using the Opposites Attract cartridge:

Photobucket

  • Trim cardstock to 4-1/4"x 5-1/2", score and fold in half
  • Cut patterned paper to fit flush against the entire front of the card.
  • Using a piece of white cardstock (or a color of your choice), trim to 4-1/4" x 1" and adhere to bottom of the cardfront.
  • Place ribbon across the front of the card covering the seams from the white cardstock to patterned paper (For this card I used tacky tape to ensure strong placement).
  • On your Cricut cut the letters M-A-N-Y at 1" using the Upright creative feature.
  • Also at 1" cut the word 'thanks' using the standard set image (as a result this should be in a script type font found on the cartridge).
  • Place and adhere the letters and sentiment onto card.
And to think I've got to create one more card.... My Wedding Anniversary is this Thursday and I have nothing started. Like I said before my week as been organized chaos and this week will be no different as I go through the aftermath of a move especially since it involves loved ones.

I wish you a great rest of the week! Enjoy the Spring Weather and until next time... Happy Crafting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.