Nos membres - Our peeps

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Add some oomph to Polaroid shots

Do you have some old pics laying around? Well, of course you do!!! How about some Polaroid shots? Are you wondering what you can do with them? Well, let me help you with that!!

You can definitely scrap them!!

A few days ago, I was looking for a particular picture (which I didn't find!), and I ran across these two Polaroids of my daughter Ashley. My son Kevin (the photographer) took these about three years ago. I had them on my bulletin board, but when I lost my scrap room to my DS & DIL, I put them in photo boxes. I totally forgot about them, and I never really thought about scrapping them....... that is until now!

One edge of most Polaroid pics are usually wider. It doesn't make for a pretty frame!! And it's not like you can cut into the pic to remove it. But you can always cover it!!

You can add some pretty papers, or flowers or die-cuts or anything else you like to cover it!! I chose to add bits of paper from K&Company and some black ribbon for this. I layered my pics on a bingo card (K&Co) and a die-cut (CC) and placed them over gorgeous Cosmo Cricket paper.

Then I started playing with misc. die-cuts (K&Co) and Prima flowers. I layered all of these on a piece of pink lace.


The large green flower is rolled fabric, glued to a white felt circle. I misted the whole thing with home-made glitter spray, and added a large black rhinestone brad to the center. I also misted the medium sized black flower, and added Distress Stickles to the pink inner petal. I used a Martha Stewart punch on the K&Co paper for the smallest petal, and then added a small brad to hold it together.


The fancy flourish is an acrylic die-cut from K&Co. I layered it over a piece of Prima packaging (the colors were perfect!), and I cut around the edge, and glued the pieces together. Then I strategically added some Martha Stewart black pearls to help define it a bit more. A few more diecuts, buttons, ribbon, lace (misted), & sentiment, and there you have it!! No one would ever think that these pics were Polaroids!!
So, if you have any Polaroids, try it out. You might just like the results!!

Home-Made Glitter Spray Recipe
You will need the following:

  • Small spray bottle, travel size is best
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Alcohol Inks
  • Perfect Pearls or Pearl Ex powders.
Open your spray bottle and pour rubbing alcohol into it, filling it about 3/4 of the way up.
Add three to five drops (you can use more to get a deeper color) of alcohol ink, in your choice of color.
I used two different greens to get the color I wanted.
Add about 1/2 teaspoon of pearl powder into bottle. Replace cap, and shake sideways!!!
Tip: If you shake it in an up and down motion, the pearl powders will clog the little tube in the sprayer make sure to always shake sideways!
This is definitely not an exact science. Okay, maybe for some of you!! LOL!! Just experiment with different colors of ink & pearl powders. You'll be amazed at the results!!! And you'll save lots of $$$.
Tip: Do NOT cut into Polaroid pictures!!! There is a chemical inside them, that will release on your pages. Definitely not good for your layouts or for you. I believe that these chemicals can be toxic. As long as you are careful & don't cut them, you can use these pictures for any layout.
Hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did making it!!
Love ya,
Lynne

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful LO so very PINKALICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Beautiful LO Lynne!!! I love all the layers and the colors go so well together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this page - all the layers and colors! The use of these types of photos is amazing. TFS your tips.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.