Nos membres - Our peeps

Saturday, March 13, 2010

KISS (Keep It Simple Saturdays) with Michelle

Happy Saturday Everyone! This week I will show you one of my latest layouts that covers the basic principal of using minimal colors for maximum impact. With a rainbow of color and a zillion of different patterns and color combinations out there; perhaps sometimes it can be overwhelming. For a change of pace and maybe stretching your creative muscles, try doing the opposite.


That is exactly what I did for my layout. As you can probably count on one hand the main colors I used for my page. There are 3 to be exact and all of them were taken from the patterned paper. The main colors are a teal, cream and brown. With minimal splashes of other colors, I tried to give my page a bit more emphasis without taking away from the main colors I used for my page.

Here are some of my tips for achieving your next layout using a minimal amount of main colors:
  • Choose 1 sheet of patterned paper.
  • Let your color choices be dictated by the patterned paper.
  • Try to best coordinate your patterned paper, cardstock and embellishments by using the same manufacturer and/or paper collection. The collection I used was Jolly Golly from Cosmo Cricket but any paper collection will do.
  • If using ink and stamps, choose colors that are close to or match your patterned paper and/or cardstock. Have you seen my snowflakes (aren't they pretty) ?
  • To maintain the flow or feel of the page; I used a stamp font that was curvy which is a great juxtaposition to the chipboard elements I used. The stamp set is from American Crafts and can be found here.
  • Vary the shapes of using the same colors of cardstock. I used rectangles, scalloped circles and a curved square (can you find the curved square?).
  • Layer and add dimension where possible. Take a look at the photo mat as well as the snowflakes.
  • Adding bling to a project adds 'color' without having color (talk about an oxymoron eh?). Check out the clear rhinestone brads and the glitter used on the snowflakes and embellishment.
I hope these tips help you accomplish your next layout in a jiff and give you the same pleasure to create and remember the story.

Now I cannot leave this column undone without explaining the hilarious story behind this layout. It's another funny husband-ism. The title is an exact quote of what he said when we were looking outside our window on an extremely windy winter morning. Although the photo I took was from that moment in time, unfortunately you cannot see the snow moving 'upwards' but at least that moment's story has been told (and forever remembered or laughed at depending on how you look at it).

Have a Great Weekend and Happy Crafting!

KISSes and Hugs ~ Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Lo Michelle!! Love the teal paper & that you added a splash of color with your title & sentiment!!! Cool snowflakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome LO Michelle! Fun Colors, I really love the stamped and chipboard title! ~ Nini xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that your swirly paper does the "talking" about your snowflakes. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.