Nos membres - Our peeps

Monday, March 1, 2010

Alter It Monday with Amy ~ Trinket Box

Welcome to Alter It Monday with me, Amy!

Now who is Amy...? And what is this Altered It Monday stuff she's talking about, right??!

Let's see I'm Amy! I live in Connecticut, have been in the Arts and Crafts since forever and ever. Started painting seriously when I was four and never looked back. Seriously!!! I don't think I own a single article of clothing that does not have a drop of paint, glue or a glitter on it somewhere. I love scrapbooking, but I have to confess that I love, love, love altering the tar out of things! It is such a great stress reliever for me! I can not wait to share this joy with you!!!

So Mondays here on Posh Designs Scrapbook Store Blog are going to be Altered Art days! Woo Hoo!!! Each week we will explore something fun and different. Most weeks there will be some sort of tutorial for you to follow along with.

This week we will take a look at how to alter a Trinket Box!

Now let's start with this plain wooden star shaped box:


and these paper crafting supplies:


to create this!!!


Let's see...
First I dry brushed on a quick coat of white acrylic paint to the entire box inside and out. It was not a perfect job at all as it would soon be covered up in the next step. Think of this as the base coat.


Two different shades of Glimmer Mist were applied inside and out. Shimmerz Spirtz work awesome as well! I set that aside to dry for a bit after that.


While the Mist was drying, I used my border punch to make a decorative strip for the bottom section of my Trinket Box. I also cut a skinny strip for the top. 
(papers & most embellishments used for this projects are from Basic Grey's Indian Summer line) 


To create the embellishment on the top of the box, I threaded the prongs of a decorative brad through a button. After splaying the brad out, I trimmed the ends of the brad to be smaller than the button. My Tim Holtz Tonic scissors can cut through it like butter!


The Mists are now dry so it's now time to add some more Shimmer! Time to break out the Shimmerz and paint on an edge around the top and bottom!


Once the Shimmerz are dry, almost instantly!, glue the punched border along there. Glue that skinny strip along the Shimmerz on the top section as well.



Apply desired rub-on to the center of the top.


Glue down the button/brad embellishment in center of the rub-on. Adhere pearls where desired and there you have it, one cool Trinket Box!!!



Hope you have enjoyed my first edition of Alter It Monday!
~Amy

8 comments:

  1. Wow Amy! That box cut my breath out! Simply amazing first post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, that box is fabulous!!! Love the scrap supplies you used!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, adore your your first post! Gorgeous box! TFS :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy! Beautiful project! I've never tried misting my alterations before...I'm gonna have to try that! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a little box that needs altering ...must get round to doing it :)
    tfs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS on your 1st post! It is fabulous and inspirational! I cannot wait to read and see more of your creations every Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow very cool can't wait to see what you alter next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo,Hoo...great tutorial. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.